When considering whether to use an agent to sell your home, or whether to list and sell your home on your own (FSBO,) sellers should not underestimate the role that real estate professionals can play in the process.
· 87% of all buyers in 2018 used an agent to buy their home, compared to 69% of buyers in 2011
· So far this year, 92% of buyers sold their homes with the help of an agent/broker – leaving the rest of sales to be FSBO. (NAR)
· Homes sold by agents typically sell at a higher price and spend less time on the market
· A typical FSBO currently sells for $200,000, whereas the typical home sold with the help of an agent sells for $265,000
3 major reasons sellers prefer to rely on Real Estate Agents
1. To market their home, and to find their next home/ property
a. It is becoming more and more crucial to have a strong internet strategy when selling your home. Many people rely on Realtors to have an internet strategy to promote and market their home for them, because they realize that 50% of buyers find the home they end up purchasing on the internet.
2. To negotiate prices and terms of sale
a. When selling a home, there can be a pretty extensive list of people to negotiate with. Handling negotiations is a big reason why may people prefer to use an agent. Some of the many people sellers rely on their agent to negotiate with could include: the buyer, buyers’ agent, buyer’s attorney, buyers lender, inspection companies, appraisers, title companies and the bank to name a few. That’s a lot of people to negotiate with! Real Estate agents are meant to take the pressures off of the seller and to be a seller’s advocate throughout the home-sale process.
3. To make sense of the process
a. The plethora of information now available has resulted in an increase in the percentage of buyers that reach out to real estate professionals to “connect the dots”. The paperwork involved in selling a home is very intensive, as industry disclosures and regulations have become mandatory. This alone is one of the biggest reasons that FSBOing has dropped substantially over the past 20 years. (Over 10%!)
Realtors have committed their careers to providing people like you with the necessary information and resources to sell your home effectively for the most money, in the least amount of time! Let a professional help you with your move, and remove some of the stress that comes along with such a big life change.
Looking for more tips, or ready to get started on listing your home? Contact us today, and let one of our Indianapolis area experts help you list and sell your home!